Friday, April 15, 2016

Portfolio Index

Hello everyone! Welcome to my portfolio! Each story listed below has it's own blurb but I though it would be nice to point you in the right direction for your story type preferences.

If you are in the mood for something with a bit of humor try Bad First Date.
If you are feeling a murder mystery then Greed is the Master is the story for you.
If you want a mushy love story look at Strawberry Savior.
If you want something with witchcraft and fake dates go to The Ambitious Granddaughter.
Finally, if you are looking for a twisted step-mother vs step-daughter tale check out My Wicked Stepdaughter.

Hope you enjoy the stories!

The Ambitious Granddaughter
This is a tale based off of Adam's first wife Lilith. It is set more modern day and tells of her quests to be a powerful woman and not fall under a husband demanding to be more powerful.

Bad First Date
This story is based off a Nigerian tale of a disobedient daughter who marries the wrong man. It is set on the current day talk radio show Cash and Bradley's Second Date on K 95.5 Tulsa. They argue about how the date went and whether a second chance is in order.

My Wicked Stepdaughter
In the original story a young girl's father got remarried to an evil woman. This stepmother tried multiple times to kill the young girl- each attempt not going as planned. For my retelling, I told the story from the view of the stepmother.

Strawberry Savior
This tale involves a couple who gets in a fight and their love is saved with an amazing fruit called strawberries.

Greed is the Master
A story of greedy men whose end comes in the most unfortunate way.

6 comments:

  1. Portfolio! That is so exciting. I am excited for this one because I am doing storybook and this portfolio thing will be a different project from mine. I cannot wait to see yours. I like how you are gong to tell a story with modern time setting. Story can be totally different when the background of tale is in different time set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allyson! I'm happy to see that you picked a portfolio! It's a different project from my storybook so I'm excited to see what stories you'll be writing for your portfolio. I read the Bad First Date story, and it was great! I have never heard of a radio show called Second Date before. I would hate to be called by them just to be called out for not going on a second date. The way you wrote about Skull and Afiong as a second date story was brilliant. He did leave her with his mother on the first date! How could he? I would be so mad if I went out on a first date, and my date left me with his mom. The dialogue in the story was planned very well. I was about to see how the character developed through your story, and you stuck to your theme throughout the story. You did a fantastic job, and I'll be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allyson! Yours is the first portfolio that I have read so far. I am really liking it. I really enjoyed the story of the Bad First Date. I never would have thought of having a radio call in show as the basis of a story. It is very original. I can't imagine meeting someone's parents on a first date. And for him to leave her alone with his mom, that's crazy. I also enjoyed The Ambitious Granddaughter. I didn't see the man being sent by the grandmother until she said it. How cruel is it to curse your own granddaughter like that? I can't imagine the pain Lilith felt at knowing that her grandmother is the cause. She knows it, even if she is not willing to believe. I like how both of your stories are set in modern times. You have a nice theme going with that. You are doing a wonderful job with your portfolio and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allyson!
    I really like that Professor Gibbs is letting the classes comment on each other’s blogs this week. I think it is refreshing to see some new names and options to look at. Your blog is very well done. I love the way you have formatted your posts and the color scheme that you have chosen. I looked through the stories you have already posted to your portfolio and they look great. They are very well written and interesting. I particularly liked Bad First Date because it was pretty funny. One suggestion I might have for the introduction to your portfolio post is to add pictures that correlate to each of your stories. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and I think it could really add to your portfolio. Other than that everything looks great. Keep up the good work.
    Hope you had a good Spring Break!

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ally! I really enjoyed reading your Portfolio story: My Wicked Stepdaughter. I think that your take on the original story was very creative! You did a good job explaining the original story in your Author’s Note, which was nice since I haven’t read the original story. I think that it is sad to think this poor girl was growing up with a stepmother who was trying to kill her, but it also reminded me of a mixture of Cinderella and Snow White! You mention Cinderella and can definitely see why; Princess Hase and Cinderella have many things in common. I love to embroider so it is interesting to see that she is accredited with starting that style of stitching. I also think that your idea of a diary was different and a good take for this tale. Lastly, I really liked that you included a photo at the end to give some imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ally! This is a great set of stories in your reading Portfolio. Each story has it's own characteristics and uniqueness! For example in "Bad First Date" having a radio call for the basis of the story. Also with that story I couldn't imagine meeting someones parents on the first date, that would totally through me off. I love the twist you did the "My Wicked Stepdaughter". You have an awesome Portfolio, including the layout and colors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete