Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Storytelling Week Eleven: Unlikely Friends

Robin Hood and Little John
Unlikely Friends
I will never understand how men work. One minute they can be brawling in the backyard. Next thing you know they are best friends! I know it sounds like I am about to head off on a tangent- so let me start this story from the beginning.
Earlier this week me and my boyfriend Robin had a little cookout in the backyard with our friends. Well one of my friends has a new boyfriend named John that she brought with her. We were all just chatting it up and having a good time. The burgers were delicious and the sangria was going down smooth.
Suddenly, I heard a large thud. I turn around to find that John had ran into one of the chairs by the pool knocking it over and breaking the arm. Well, most people would not think much of this little accident. Robin, on the other hand, flips out! He goes over there yelling and screaming. He tells John, "You better be paying for that chair! I will make you pay for that chair!"
Robin is being completely irrational but once he gets into this state it is nearly impossible to calm him back down.
John, the near seven foot, thick build, ex-football player- is keeping his cool. He calmly replies, "Okay, fight me for it."
Robin, of course, does not ever back down from a fight. He bows up his chest and takes the first swing. Everyone is gathered around in disbelief that they are truly fighting over a chair.
They go back and forth for a while. Just when you thought one man was winning the other would jump back on top. Finally Robin takes a solid blow to the head and staggers back. The onlookers, myself included, see this as the prime moment to step in. At group of us grab both men pulling them apart. I take Robin inside as my friend drags John to the car.
I start to gripe at Robin but could see the hurt in his eyes. His pride was hurt that he did not knock out John easily. So I decide to let it go for the night.

A few days later we are out at the bar. Just a typically Friday night. Until I notice my friend and John walk in. Immediately I think to myself, "Oh no! Not again, I do not want to be banned from this bar over a silly fight!"
I try to steer Robin out the door before he sees John. I was not successful. Robin spotted him across the bar and changed paths quickly. I tense up- ready for the fight that was about to happen. Just as I thought I would hear a fist cracking a nose. I hear Robin shout out, "Hey! Remember me? You sure are a great fighter!"
John replied, "Yeah, man we sure put up a great brawl!"
I stand there bewildered at the scene unfolding in front of me. They are being civil and even getting a beer! How on Earth can this be happening? I look to my left- making eye contact with my friend. She looks just as stunned. I go up to her and say, "I am glad they are getting along but I will never understand how men can go from punching each other to being great friends."
She nodded in agreement. The rest of the night went on smoothly. Although in the back of my mind I am, and always will be, wondering how men's brain works.

Author's Note: This week I read about Robin Hood. Pretty much all of his stories involved some sort of brawl usually ending with the group going out for drinks. The particular one I based this story off of was how he met Little John. Little John is one of his major men throughout his outlaw tales. They met in the forest and got into a long fight until Robin decided he liked his style and made him one of the team. They end up going out for a feast and drinks. For my story I just wrote a little piece in modern times. I used the same names but made it a modern backyard and bar setting. Honestly, this is a true question I have for men. I have seen guys fight multiple times and then be back to being best friends by the end of the week. If two girls get in a fist fight they will most likely hate each other for the rest of their lives. That is just speculation- I have never been in a fist fight so I would not know that for sure. Maybe there is something about cracking your knuckles on someone's head that makes you like them. Heck, who knows!

Bibliography: Robin Hood and Little John. The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898).

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you ended writing your story :) :) I also do not know how men’s brain works :) . I know it is something weird to see two men fighting in the first night, then they become great friends in the next day, but actually I like when that happened because sometimes fighting about something does not mean they should become enemies to the rest of their lives. Great job Ally! I really enjoyed reading the story. It is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allyson! I really loved getting a bit of a behind the scenes view with your story! Robin Hood is such a classic and I love that you had the creativity to take it on with a new perspective. I particularly thought your first person narration added a lot to the story's flow and detail. I'd love to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete