Thursday, January 28, 2016

Storytelling for Week 2: The Eavesdropping Dog

It was a normal sunny afternoon, I was on my porch just eating a bone and watching the activity of the neighborhood around me. Down the street lived the most beautiful girl on the block, everyone was extremely jealous of her beauty. Many men tried to court her but none could hold her attention and most found that dating her led to many struggles of keeping other men off of her. No one seemed to be up for the challenge of marrying this beautiful handful of a woman. This led her into a depression, every night I would watch her come outside contemplating suicide I would do my best to console her but it was getting very old. One afternoon an as equally a handsome of a man strolled into town. I watched him as he drove down the street to the woman’s home. She seemed overjoyed that this handsome man wanted to have her hand in marriage. As she was running around telling everyone of her engagement I overheard him on the phone. He seemed to be fighting with someone and finally I heard him say “Fine Mother, I will not marry her” then he hung up and when back to the woman’s home. The day went on and I fell asleep in my usual spot on the porch. Late in the night I was awoke by the sound of a car starting up I looked up quickly enough to see the young man and woman taking off down the road. My curiosity was at am all time high so I started howling or my friend, Hawk, to come visit. When he arrived I told him of the day’s activities and asked for him to follow the couple and send me updates. Hawk was instantly on board, he loved a good case of eavesdropping. He hurried to catch up to the couple’s car.

{Dog} The next day the woman’s family was so distraught at her running away with the man that they fell into a dark depression. The parents and the sisters were overwhelmed with pain. It was so hard to watch them in so much pain.

{Hawk} I followed them up on to a hill to a beautiful little cabin hidden back in the trees. The man kept telling the women that this would be the only way they could be together and she could not tell anyone of their hiding spot or ask him about his background. She seemed nervous but willing to do anything for this man. He gave her the best foods and all the gold and jewelry she could ever dream of. They go on seemingly happy for a few days. After a while she begins to become depressed and miss her family. She again becomes suicidal. He eventually gives in telling her she may go see her sisters in private. She scurries out in the middle of the night to see her sisters.

{Dog} It is very late as I see the girl sprinting down the road. She drags her sisters out of the house telling them of her adventure. She leaves before daybreak and that is when things become interesting. Her sisters immediately become jealous and devise a plan to break them up. They call up his mother and tell her of their marriage! She sounds outraged over the phone and knows exactly where they are hiding. I am sure she is headed their right now.

{Hawk} As I am watching the happy couple I see an outraged older woman coming up the path. She bursts in yelling at the two. She is angry her son disobeyed her wishes and she feels the girl is no good, just after his riches. She soon devises a series of tasks for her to prove her love for him. The girl struggles but eventually completes the tasks but that is not good enough for the mother. The boy has to confront his grandfather to help him convince the mother the marriage is good. After much fighting the mother finally gives in.


{Dog} When Hawk returned he told me everything he saw. What a crazy story?! It has been weeks since the event and we hear the girl is pregnant now and knows how devious her sisters are. She has not come home since the event and keeps to just her beautiful little family. 


Author's Note: The story is based off the crazy love story of Cupid and Psyche. To sum it up, Cupid and Psyche were in a forbidden love affair. Cupid's mother disapproved and was jealous of Psyche's beauty feeling it took away from her own. Cupid's mother is the goddess Venus, better known as Aphrodite. Psyche has two sisters who were jealous and devious and tried to ruin Psyche and Cupid's marriage. They had to go through many trials and tribulations to keep their marriage together and prove their love to Venus. I wanted to tell the story from an outside point of view so I had two curious animals report what they saw and heard happening. A dog seemed the best choice because most stories seem to have that lazy dog that just lays on the porch all day. So it seemed he would know what is going on around the town at all times. Then I added a hawk because the dog needed a helpful companion to follow the adventure when it left the neighborhood. I loved the entire story of Cupid and Psyche, so I felt I wanted to just give a broad version of the tale instead of picking out one element and going into a lot of detail. This way the readers can still know generally know everything.

Apuleius's Golden Ass, as translated into English by Tony Kline (2013).
The Nosy Dog from Google Images

4 comments:

  1. Hey Allyson!
    Your title really caught my attention. I won't lie. I have gossiped here and there, so when the title said "eavesdropping" I became excited! Something juicy must have happened in this story! Your introduction was a huge hook! A beautiful woman who couldn't find the love of her life contemplating suicide? That sentence itself was full of suspense! I thought it was pretty funny that you chose two animals to tell the story. It makes me wonder how my dogs would tell my story. I wonder why the mother didn't like her son's choice of mate. I know in the end she explained it was because the girl was after his fortune, but was there another reason? Was the mother jealous that the girl was so beautiful? Ugh the fact that the sisters tried to break up the couple made me sick. According to the story, the couple wasn't doing anything wrong! It made me happy that the protagonist remained in her new home with her boyfriend/husband. The fact that she was willing to give up her family in order to maintain her relationship was interesting to me. I have really close family ties, so I couldn't imagine giving up my family for the world. Then again, with her jealous sisters, maybe she needed to leave that family. My favorite part of your story was the image you chose. What a beautiful dog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a cool way to retell this story! I like the idea of dogs knowing what is going on and talking to each other about it. I read this story for week 3, and it was a little hard to follow, but your retelling was so easy and fun to read! You made a story with some sad and serious stuff much more lighthearted, while still keeping the relevant themes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of switching back and forth between the Hawk and the dogs point of view, but it was a little confusing at first. The first mention of a dog at all is with the curry braces "{Dog}." I had to try to figure out who dog was in order for the story to make sense again. If you introduce the dog earlier, or make it plain who dog is, then I think this story will work much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allyson, I really enjoyed reading your story! I love how you told the story from the animals point of view! If you think about it animals really do see and hear a lot of things, but they have no way of communicating them. If animals could communicate we would know a lot more about people than they wanted us to know! I also did my story this week over Cupid and Psyche, although a different take on it. I also really liked your title. "Eavesdropping" immediately grabbed my attention! We all enjoy some juicy gossip every now and then! One thing you could possibly expand on if you wanted to would be the tasks the mother in law required of her. That might give a little glimpse as to how cruel her mother in law was to her and she still followed through with them to prove her love for her husband. Overall, I enjoyed the story and the context in which it was told! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete