Sunday, January 24, 2016

Growth Mindset

Growth mindset it not a new concept for me. One of my major professors, Dr. Bisel, is an advocate of growth mindset. Every course I have taken with him he has made sure to include growth mindset in his lectures. While the concept is not new to me, this is the first I have heard of Carol Dweck's work. I believe I have a growth mindset. Although I can not say I haven't used fixed mindset as an excuse before in things I do not care to learn such as math. Otherwise, I believe everyone's knowledge can grow and we are given infinite possibilities in life. My biggest struggle with furthering my knowledge is my motivation to do so. If it is a subject I am passionate about I will strive to learn as much as possible. If it is something I am not so excited about I have a tendency to shut off my brain and just do the minimum. College has taught me that even subjects I am not as excited about can be extremely important for my future. I must give them as much time and attention as I do any other subject. I am dealing with this struggle in my last semester of college still. I have a class about international communication that I am less than enthused about because I do not plan on doing international work after graduation so it does not seem relevant. But, I know this class may still be helpful so I have to remind myself to work hard and grow in that class even though it is not my favorite topic.
Quote from Carol Dweck's Mindset. Image made with Cheezburger.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ally! I'm another one of those people who came into contact with growth mindset before they took this class, although like you I didn't know anything about Carol Dweck or her research! It's also really hard for me to do extra when learning about things I'm not interested in--there aren't many things I'm NOT interested in, point blank, but they do exist and it's really hard for me to motivate myself when dealing with them. I agree that sometimes these topics are really important for the future, though! In that case I usually try to find SOMETHING about it that I AM interested in--even if it's just that taking the subject will help me graduate, or something similar having to do with the future--and focus on that...sometimes that helps...or I tell myself that in the future if I need the knowledge I'll be glad I have it.

    ReplyDelete